This is a remote position.
Ad Hoc is a digital services company that helps the federal government better serve people. Our team of experts from across the commercial industry and government brings the modern skills necessary to help agencies transform public services into digital services. Our work enables agencies to meet the needs of their users while closing the gap between consumer expectations and government.
Principal Software Engineers are expert engineers with significant technical experience and exposure. They have demonstrated success and expertise with large systems. While they are capable of leading large teams and understand the nuance of interactions between people, technical systems, and process, they are most influential as thought leaders who proactively create new areas of opportunity for the company and programs within their sphere of influence.
As a people leader within engineering, you will build, lead, and develop other members from your practice and ensure they adopt and apply the best practices, principles, and values that are important to the health and quality of the engineering practice and to our customers.
- Our Federal contracts require that you be a U.S. Citizen to be eligible for employment.
- All work must be conducted within the U.S.
- As a government contractor, all hires may be required to meet additional pre-employment contingencies to the extent required by applicable law, at the time of hire or any time thereafter
What You'll Do
- Demonstrating significant technical competence and ownership to broad audiences while driving progress on company strategic objectives at multiple levels.
- Maintaining a wide and productive sphere of influence within and outside the company.
- Generating and articulating technical strategy to diverse audiences, both technical and non-technical.
- Proactively creating and exploring new areas of opportunity for the company.
- Shaping future work streams from clients on their program and related programs, with a focus on overall client success.
- Representing the company publicly such as writing blog posts, generating marketing materials, presenting at conferences, and taking part in panel discussions.
- Mentoring, guiding, and coaching other engineers at the company, with a focus on technical excellence and leadership.
- Defining and delivering minimal viable products independently or with new teams given ambiguous requirements.
- Maintaining strong ties and familiarity with at least one major technical ecosystem (through either maintenance or participation in major communities and projects).
What You'll Bring
- In-depth understanding of computer science fundamentals (algorithms, data structures, operating systems, networks, databases)
- Experience with SQL
- Experience with Master Data Management, Enterprise Data Warehouse
- Experience with Profisee or Mulesoft preferred
- Experience in design, optimization, and use of relational databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL)
- Experience in one or more programming languages (Go, Java, Node.js, Python)
- Familiar with Azure development environment
- Experience in design and development of low latency and high concurrency web backend services
- Familiar with software engineering best practices (unit testing, version control, continuous integration, software design patterns)
- Experience in one or more commonly used middleware (distributed file system, cache, message queue)
- Familiar with CI/CD tooling and infrastructure (Jenkins, Gitlab CI, CloudFoundry)
- Familiar with common network / RPC protocols (TCP, UDP, HTTP, gRPC)
- Familiar with virtualization, containerization, and orchestration technologies (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Experience in monitoring systems (New Relic, Kibana)
- Experience in distributed databases and systems (Hadoop, Spark, HBase)
- Company-subsidized Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Vanguard 401K Plan
- Unlimited Vacation
- Continuing Education/Annual Conference Attendance Stipend
Ad Hoc LLC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.
In support of the Colorado Equal Pay Transparency Act, and others like it across the country, Ad Hoc job descriptions feature the starting range we reasonably expect to pay to candidates who would join our team with little to no need for training on the responsibilities we've outlined above. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide range of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, and responsibility. The range of starting pay for this role is $113,900 - $149,040 and information on benefits offered is here. Our recruiters will be happy to answer any questions you may have, and we look forward to learning more about your salary requirements.