The Personalization team makes deciding what to play next easier and more enjoyable for every listener. From Daily Mix to Discover Weekly, we’re behind some of Spotify’s most-loved features. We built them by understanding the world of music and podcasts better than anyone else. Join us and you’ll keep millions of users listening by making great recommendations to each and every one of them. We ask that our team members be physically located in Central European time or Eastern Standard/Daylight time zones for the purposes of our collaboration hours.
Spotify is looking for a Staff Data Engineer to join the team! You will build data driven solutions to bring music and media experiences to hundreds of millions of users and creators by matching fans with creators in a personal and relevant way. You will seek sophisticated data problems using some of the most diverse datasets — user behaviors, acoustical analysis, revenue streams, cultural and contextual data, and other signals across a range of mobile and connected platforms. Above all, your work will change the way the world experiences art!
Who You Are/What You'll Learn:
- You have used one or more high-level JVM-based processing frameworks such as Beam, Dataflow, Crunch, Scalding, Storm, Spark, or something we didn’t list- but not just Pig/Hive/BigQuery/other SQL-like abstractions.
- You have shown understanding about data modeling, data access, and data storage, caching, replication, and optimization techniques.
- You have worked in a cloud-native (GCP preferred) development and production environment where all CI/CD take place
- You know how to work with high volume heterogeneous data, preferably with distributed systems such as BigTable. Ideally you have also built innovative solutions that address current limitations of these technologies.
- You care about agile software processes, data development, reliability, and responsible experimentation.
- You understand the value of collaboration within teams.
- You are comfortable with asynchronous communication, being able to work independently while always sharing context with your team members.
- You care about shipping product, agile software processes, reliability, and focused but fast experimentation
- You love your customers even more than your code
What You'll Do:
- Build large-scale batch and real-time data pipelines with data processing frameworks like Scio, Flume, and the Google Cloud Platform.
- Deliver scalable, testable, maintainable, and high-quality code.
- Demonstrate standard methodologies in continuous integration and delivery.
- Help drive optimization, testing and tooling to improve data quality.
- Work in multi-functional agile teams to continuously experiment, iterate and deliver on new product objectives.
- Be a technical leader within the team you work with and within Spotify in general.
- Facilitate and drive collaboration with engineers, product managers and partners to seek exciting and results-oriented user-centric data problems.
- Share knowledge, promote standard methodologies, making your team the best version of itself through mentorship and constructive accountability.
Where You'll Be:
- We are a distributed workforce enabling our band members to find a work mode that is best for them!
- Where in the world? For this role, it can be within the Americas region in which we have a work location and is within working hours.
- Working hours? We operate within the Eastern Standard time zone for collaboration and ask that all be located in that time zone.
- Prefer an office to work from home instead? Not a problem! We have plenty of options for your working preferences. Find more information about our Work From Anywhere options here.
- You will be working with a team that is largely based in Boston and New York.
Spotify is an equal opportunity employer. You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be forward-thinking! So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the chance to enjoy and be passionate about these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 345 million users.